Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Log Cabin Square Tutorial

How to cut your strips:

Center square  (dark fabric)  -- 2 1/2" square

Light Fabrics (you can make all your cuts from the same fabric piece or from 4 different pieces)
1st light fabric  -- #1 -- 1 3/4 "  X 2 1/2 "
                           #2 -- 1 3/4 " X 3 3/4 "

2nd light fabric -- #1 -- 1 3/4 " X 5"
                           #2 -- 1 3/4" X 6 1/4

3rd light fabric -- #1 -- 1 3/4" X 7 1/2"
                          #2 -- 1 3/4" X 8 3/4"

4th light fabric -- #1 -- 2" X 10"
                          #2 -- 2" X 11 1/4"

1st Dark --   1 3/4" x 3 3/4"

2nd Dark -- 1 3/4" x 5"

3rd Dark -- 1 3/4" x 6 1/4"

4th Dark -- 1 3/4" x 7 1/2"

5th Dark -- 1 3/4" x 8 3/4"

6th Dark -- 1 3/4" x 10"

7th Dark -- 2" x 11 1/4"

8th Dark -- 2" x 13"













Sewing the center square and 1st light square #1


Adding the 1st light square #2


Adding the 1st dark square



The second dark strip is added and now to add the 2nd light strip #1


Add caption


Adding the 2nd light strip #2







Completed!!!


I hope you can make out the strips in the picture.   I tried to do a step by step and then the camera battery died so I resorted to my phone camera....

Thanks,
Connie

7 comments:

Jennifer R. said...

I am so excited to try this! Thanks for the great tutorial, Connie! Your log cabin block is fantastic!

mardie said...

Looks great!! Ignore my other question... the tutorial answers it very well. I am excited. I have always wanted to do a log cabin.

Nikki said...

I love the way log cabin's look! I'm excited for the fabric choices as well! Are you wanting mostly blue, green, and orange? I just want to use the right pieces. So excited to start! And um..maybe next time instead of a scrapbook retreat we should do a quilting one?! ;)

Courtney said...

Oh, I'm excited and nervous to do this! Eeek! So fun. Did you say somewhere what color or type of fabric to use? Sorry, I can't remember.

Liz said...

beautiful! i want to make one! :) what's the finished size?

mimisuu said...

Liz, the square ends up being 12 x 12.

Unknown said...

In my square I used blues, greens and orange. In Marnita's square she used some greens, orange, a little blue, and some purple. So the colors aren't that big of a deal. If you want to stay with the palette I have that will work but the idea is to have it look like an updated "scraps" quilt.

Sarah's grandmother made SK a log cabin lap quilt and she used "scraps" from her own quilting stash. There is no rhyme or reason to it as far as colors but it is pretty!