Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Bowtie's for Emily!

This is my bowtie block for Emily.  My bowtie fabric comes from the Little Apple's line by Aneela Hoey.  I thought this line coordinated beautifully with your solid color choices! I hope you like them!


 This is my mom's block.  Her bowtie's come from the Punctuation Collection by American Jane.


We had some difficulty after sewing the printed block to the solid one.  When sewing a square that was not a true 4", often the bowtie would not "open up" to a squared off 5 inch square. (It would come up short.)  So, my recommendation would be to always cut a 4 inch square.  Then when you go to mark your diagonal line, have the edges of your line fall somewhere between 3 and 4 inches.  When you OPEN your print, your fabric will extend pass the 5 in block.   You will then square off the 5 in block.    ...OR... maybe I did something wrong.  =)  If so, I apologize for the added tute!!

4 comments:

mardie said...

I LOVE Little Apples and I used some of the Punctuation! I agree, when I didn't use a real square for the bow tie, it didn't open up to a good 5"square. I had to re-do 2 of them with larger squares.

I'll post them tomorrow.

(Glad you like my August project.)

emilysigler said...

sorry guys! Thanks for the tips! I only did squares and didn't think about how "wonky" squares would unfold. Oops!

emilysigler said...

oh, and they look terrific!

mimisuu said...

I love the fabrics! Great job!