Saturday, August 31, 2013

International Sun Bonnet Sue Quilt Block Tutorial

Posted for Llewellyn W.

Ready For A Challenge
 
 
     Okay ladies here you go---First of all I apologize for the lateness of my quilt pattern.  I had surgery in April and afterwards had 2 months of physical therapy. I never remembered that my month was in June.  It is all good and I'm back in the swing of things again.
 
     I have always wanted to do this quilt, but it seemed overwhelming to do by myself - so why not get my friends to help me out.  The different countries that I have selected to do are all meaningful to me or my family.  We have either visited, lived or worked in one of them.  This will not be a quilt to use, but one for the wall.  So, if you need to use embellishments, buttons, bows, or fringe then that would be great.  Use material from your won stash or find some that you think appropriate for the country.  I would like all the ladies to face the right, after being put on the background material that I have furnished.  You can applique the pieces by hand or machine, whichever you choose.  mix your applique techniques if you wish.  As I said earlier you can embellish as much as you want.  The more color and pizazz the better!  I have sent the small picture for ideas.  when you send the finished block back I would like to have the picture back too, so I can save with the original pattern.
 
     The first step in doing the block is tracing the pattern onto some type of wonder under.  The pattern can be traced easier with the use of a light box if you have one.  If you don't have one you can simply use my low budget method:
 
 
 
     Tape your pattern to any window in your home that gets good sunlight.  Remember to turn your pattern over so that the girl faces the left for tracing.  When you get ready for appliqueing to the fabric she will be facing the right!
    
     After you have traced all your pattern pieces to the wonder under, place the patterns on the wrong side of the fabric.
     Remember as you are tracing the pattern pieces that you will have pieces that overlay.  Go ahead and draw out the full pattern (i.e. the full hair, the full dress, etc.) to help make sure you don't get gaps as you are putting this together.
 
     I used the clear pattern as a guide when it was time to place the pieces on the background material.  This helped me center the girl on the background block.
     Once you have your girl centered you can place a pattern piece down, carefully lift the plastic and iron the fabric onto the background.  Remember to start with the bottom most layers, then iron top layers over the connecting pieces.  I hope this makes sense to all.  If you have any questions just give me a call.  This is what your block is going to look like once you get your layered pieces ironed on.
 
     Once you have reached this point you can sew the outlines and embellish or accent pieces.  Once you return the blocks I will be embroidering the name of the country on them so you will not have to worry about this.
 
    I hope you all have fun with this!  Be on the lookout for your packets!



2 comments:

llewellynw said...

Thank you Marnita for typing my tutorial for me. My new computer doesn't have word on it yet. The picture that Marnita posted does t do it justice. She also did Germany and she needs to post that pic as well. They are unbelievably cute. Hope all of you have as much fun doing yours as we have.

sdillon said...

Llewellyn, I have not received the pattern or supplies for your block. Have you sent them to me?

Sherrie D.